If you’re new to the world of skincare, you may have seen the term retinoid come up in your research. Retinoids are powerful skincare ingredients available over the counter or in prescription form to improve the appearance of skin. To learn more about retinoids and how to use them, keep reading for some helpful tips from the experts at SomaSou.
What is a Retinoid?
A retinoid is a derivative of vitamin A that has been converted into retinoic acid. Retinoids have structural similarities to vitamin A and come in natural or synthetic forms. Retinoids can be purchased over the counter or in stronger forms available by prescription only. Retinoids can be applied topically or orally, with topical retinoids in the form of gels or creams being the most popular.
Why Use a Retinoid?
Retinoids are a common product used in dermatology and skin care because of their positive benefits on the skin. Retinoid is one of the most well-studied anti-aging treatments available. Retinoid products have been proven to:
- Increase skin cell turnover and renewal
- Provide antioxidant and antibacterial benefits
- May reduce oil production
- Reduce hyperpigmentation
- Boosts collagen production
- Hydrates (although, it can initially cause irritation)
How to Use Retinoids
While retinoids are a well-studied and proven anti-aging skincare ingredient, they are known for causing irritation. So how do you use a retinoid? Here are some helpful tips:
- Start slowly to allow your skin time to build tolerance. We recommend applying retinoid one night a week for two weeks, then two nights a week for two weeks, and so on.
- Wear sunscreen every day, no matter the weather. You should be doing this already!
- Consider buffering by applying a moisturizer before or after the retinoid to reduce irritation.
- Reduce the number of other skincare activities you are using until your skin has built a tolerance.
- Consider combining with additional ingredients below to reduce irritation and boost the effects of the retinoid.
Boost Retinoid with These Other Ingredients
Retinoids are a great anti-aging component to add to your skincare routine. Boost the effects of your retinoid with three other helpful ingredients:
- Niacinamide: This ingredient complements retinoid’s anti-aging, brightening, and anti-acne effects. Plus, it can help increase the production of lipids within your skin barrier, which helps reduce the irritation commonly experienced with retinoids.
- Hyaluronic Acid: This ingredient will help keep your skin hydrated, which facilitates skin cell turnover.
- Green Tea: Green tea has been known to act synergistically with retinoids to prevent sun damage. Many popular moisturizers include green tea extract to pair with retinoids.
Shop with SomaSou
If you are curious about how to use a Retinoid, please reach out to us for a consultation. Or shop some of our favorite Retinoid products on our website here. SomaSou is Del Ray’s first MedSpa offering services to help our community regain vitality, strength, and confidence in themselves. SomaSou means “your body,” and we give you options to help you feel confident about it. Start your journey by taking an active role in your well-being and schedule a consultation with us today. For more information about our services and to schedule a treatment, please contact us here.